Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why Value-Conflict Is Eating Me Up

For those of us who are sick fed-up with our jobs and believe there must be more to life, a big part of the problem is conflict at work.  I'm not talking about the petty, though aggravating, disputes with colleagues about silly things like re-filling the paper tray in the photocopier or washing up the coffee mugs. 

I'm talking about conflict between our values, and the values and expectations of our employers and the systems we work in.

I've been getting seriously wound up about my work.  The evidence for this is there for all to see, splattered all across my recent blog posts.    Why am I so wound up?  I love my work, don't I?  I'm a therapist; I help people, I like helping people, I'm pretty good at helping people. What's the problem? 

The problem is conflict.  There is a conflict between my personal world view and politics, and the world view and politics of my employer, and hence my job.  I am a gung-ho, fully-paid-up-member of any movement pushing for improved health, well-being, quality of life, rights, and opportunities. In the context of my job, that'll be for people with learning disabilities, mental health issues, or any other sort of disability. In the context of my life generally, that'll be for everyone!

But, I am not remotely gung-ho about the way our society is organised.  As far as I can see, our society either creates or exacerbates many mental health problems and disabilities. Our society also creates unhappiness, loneliness, fear, hopelessness, isolation, and stress.

My job expects me to help people towards improved health and well-being in the context of the wider society basically staying the same. I feel strongly that more than everything, it is the wider society that needs to change.

So there.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...