Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Running Update: Body Versus Brain

There've been no running posts lately, because there's been no running.  It seems I was a wee bit premature, thinking my achilles was basically fine. Instead I've found that yes I am ok pottering about a sedentary life of work, driving and mooching about the house... But set me loose on a run, and within five minutes, sharp pain spears through the appropriate bit of my ankle and I have to hobble home again. And in fact, the compromise of a brisk walk in the usual running slot didn't seem to be doing my injury any favours either. So, rest it is, and rest it will be for as long as it takes. Even if I have to miss the Lochaber Marathon in April, I have no intention of not being fighting fit for Loch Ness in October. So I'm just taking each day as it comes.

The mind may have accepted the situation, but the body sure as hell hasn't. It's funny how quickly the discomfort sets in. Within a day or so of no running, the lack of exercise has the muscles in my back feeling irritable and my spine feeling all clogged up. I try to kid my body, I try to con it, fool it with a vigorous 5 minutes of sit-ups and press-ups, the stretch routine, shower. 'Whaddya mean! Course we've been out running today! Can't you tell by the slightly raised heart rate and subsequent wash?!' Sometimes, very occasionally, it works... But usually it doesn't. The body knows fine.

What will be worse is when my body adapts, and no longer wants to go out running 5 days a week. Then I'm in trouble, because while the discomfort will have eased off, so too will every shred of fitness. I can't bear to even think about that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...