Sunday, December 14, 2008

Problems with Articulation

The Social Model of Disability argues that it is the way society is organised that disables people more than their individual impairments. Change should be directed at society rather than the person.

The gulf between the rich and the poor in Western societies is growing ever larger. If you're one of the comfortably well-off, and everyone you know is equally comfortable and secure, this might seem unlikely and of little immediate concern. But the current credit crunch and recession is laying bare just how tenuous the middle classes' notion of 'security' really is. Many people have found themselves just one unexpected event away from losing everything. And to me, 'losing everything' isn't the terrible thing, it's the stress, fear and misery that comes with it.

Much of the way our society works not only disables people, but also makes them ill, lonely and unhappy. Despite unprecedented wealth, health and technology, the stats indicate that our society is afflicted with ever increasing depression, anxiety, isolation, stress, obesity and a sense of never having enough time.

There is, of course, a lot about Western society that is wonderful. But I don't think that that makes it ok to disregard all that is not wonderful; that is awful, wrong and damaging.

We're not encouraged to truly question the status quo. I often question things, but I find it very hard to articulate what I mean, what I'm getting at. I struggle to find examples or data to back myself up, to justify my questionning. I can't think fast enough, or can't remember the details of the report that led to my questions. I don't have any answers, so I flounder.

I do have instincts, gut feelings and direct experiences that inform and illustrate my questions. Some of these find their way onto this blog. And I do listen to others and read the words of people who can articulate themselves better than me, who can collate data and marshall arguments.

In the meantime, I can say what I feel. I feel that the answers to these problems lie in the way we think about work. The way we value time, relationships and creativity in relation to money or security. The way we prioritise the environment versus economic growth. And the choices we make about moulding people to systems or systems to people.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...